Sunday, August 13, 2006

Dream Theatre : 3D

I am going to relate to you a dream that I recently had. At the end of the dream, I was put in a sticky situation. I will request my readers to suggest ways by which I might have got out of that situation.

At the end, I shall also relate the solution that I conceived in the somnolent state I was in when I woke up.

Scene 1
The dream starts an I find myself in a park with some small kids. All of us are playing with a Frisbee. Suddenly one of the kids throws the Frisbee wildly and it whizzes past all of our heads and lands in a drain.

I go over and look into the drain. To my surprise I find the Frisbee resembling an upturned dinner plate. Anyway, as the drain is full of muddy dirty water, I refrain from picking it up.

Scene 2
To my utter surprise, I find out that one of the kids playing with me in the park is actually my son. Presently I am in a room with him. I am getting ready for a party and he is jumping all over me. As I wear my tie, I promise him that I shall fight the goons to bring back his Frisbee. To add to the weight of the promise, I fire a few weighty punches in the air. My son is suitably impressed, and starts to envision me as his superhero. Leaving my son with his illusions (true or false) I leave for the party along with my wife.

Scene 3
Now I am at the party with my wife. She is presently in my arms and we are doing a slow ball-dance. I notice that she is tall, slim, dark and attractive. She is tipsy after a few drinks. However, I am totally in my senses. My mind is occupied by thoughts of the Herculean task before me.

Retrieving a Frisbee from a drain should not be a formidable task. However, the drain and its periphery have undergone a drastic transformation from one dream scene to another. I visualise the area while dancing, and I see visions of a dark and formidable street. On one side of it, there is the canal (the erstwhile drain) in which my son's Frisbee is lying. A series of workshops lie on the other side of the street and its' inhabitants look like goons coming straight out of prison. They wear dirty cargos and rag-like vests, and they seem to have muscles popping out from all over their body. In each of their faces, I see scars, pockmarks and the same lecherous and trouble-mongering expression.

If only our city had been better developed, I think to myself. Then this canal-side road would have become a beautiful promenade lined with elegant skyscrapers, much like the waterfronts of many US cities.

But for now, it is through this haven of ruffians that I have to venture to retrieve my son's Frisbee. And on top of that, I have to take my wife along with me.

Last Scene
Now I find myself driving my car at almost zero speed through that narrow lane. My wife is on the seat beside me and is sleeping as peacefully as a kitten. The car lights are on and the scumbags outside can see her. As my car inches along at snail's pace, a crowd of leering ruffians forms outside. Now I am almost at the end of the road. Soon I must stop my car. And to retrieve my son's Frisbee, I have to go some distance, leaving my sleeping wife in such contemptible and dangerous company.

There is no turning back. What do I do?

Please suggest some solutions…

The solution that I got in the semi-conscious state I found myself in, when I woke up from this bad dream......
As I near the end of the road, I spot a small door leading into a mosque. Having stayed beside a devout Muslim at hostel, I know that a prayer session must be concluding around this time. I stop the car, lock it from outside and rush inside the mosque. As soon as the prayers get over, I drag the Maulvi outside. On seeing him, the ruffians who have by now almost clambered on to my car, shy away like naughty boys caught red-handed. I request the Maulvi to guard my wife and dash off to retrieve the Frisbee. Soon I bring it back (by now, it is no more a Frisbee; it is a dinner plate) and find my wife sleeping in ignorant bliss.

Mission executed....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude if u can afford a car, expensice dinners etc, i am sure u can as well afford to get ur son a new frisbee !! how abt that !!

Anonymous said...

I dont think buying a new frisbee is a solution, as here in ur dream frisbee is just a symbol of something that ur son really wants or may be losing his frisbee signifies a problem that ur son has got himself into. And retrieving ur son's frisbee for him denotes the duty of urs as his dad to solve his problems, its abt being a hero or mentor in ur son's eyes. The frisbee is actually nothing, getting it back for ur son is everything.

I think Kriti, unconsciously u r feeling a bit insecure abt the role that u r going to play as a father n as a husband. While dancing with ur wife in a (high profile) party all u cud think abt was how to get ur son's frisbee back. It shows how much u care abt something which is nothing but a frisbee for grownups, but knowing tht it means a lot to ur son. This shows the loving n responsible father inside u that is yet to come out.

Later on, knoing that getting back ur son's frisbee is very imp but not leaving ur sleeping wife unsafe shows that u know how to keep a balance between being a responsible father and a responsible husband. And instead of choosing whether to get the frisbee leaving ur wife unsafe or get the hell out of there with ur wife bunking the very idea of retrieving the frisbee, u found another solution that would make everyone happy. This shows though you feel a little insecure when u find urself in a situation like this, that I think every father n husband in this world wud feel, u surly know how to find the solution n how to be a good father as well as a good husband, instead of being either one of them!

Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

And yeah, I forgot to add one thing...you dont need to ask anybody else what u shud do when u find urself in something like this. As you'll find the solution urself, its there inside u, just the way u did in ur dream!

Take Care!