Thursday, July 10, 2008

Toothpaste

The sight of the twisted toothpaste at my friend’s place reminded me of my mom. By habit, I always follow instructions while squeezing paste out of a tube – "squeeze from bottom upwards". This results in the tube always having a uniform shape. However, back when I was in school and had just started having my own room and toilet, there were days when my mom would use my tube of paste. And on those days, the effect on the toothpaste tube would be devastatingly different. It would look stricken by some disease, with many contortions here and there. In one day, my mom would distort all my efforts at uniformity.

I tried to bear with my mom’s habit at first. But later, I took a strict stand – if she was to use my paste, she would have to use it my way. After repeated reminders, my mom finally learned to use toothpaste in my fashion.

That was years ago. I now wonder how my mom would have felt when her little child, who she had taught to walk, eat, talk, even brush, started scolding her about the proper usage of a toothpaste.
















PS: This pic came up in Google Images when I searched for "toothpaste". I just had to post it. I thought that the following caption would create a nice connection with the above post:
"With its' twists and turns, life goes on..."

2 comments:

Saumya said...

this was also nice...i too do the same..esp sum things like pressing the toothpaste from the bottom..olwaiz keeping the soap in the ppr cover n then in the box..toothbrush in the cover..n a lot of things ..for maself..n i feel lyk ol these are never tiresome for me..

kriti said...

@sobriquet:

you might know already, but just stating anyway... this type of behaviour is typical of Monica in the sitcom Friends...