Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Why is Safari Sticking to (new) Windows?

So what with the release of Safari 4, I decided to finally shift from Firefox to Safari on my Mac. On my PC, I use Google Chrome. And I dare say that Safari does not come close to Chrome in terms of the beauty of the user interface. But Chrome has not yet launched for Mac, so Safari it is for now.

Since yesterday, I was annoyed to see that in Safari, links opened up in new windows instead of new tabs. According to me this is pure sacrilege. So I Googled "safari open link in new tab" and got the solution at the bottom of a forum thread. Here it is for easier reference
1. Open terminal. Cut paste the following line:
defaults write com.apple.Safari TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool true

2. Restart Safari. And voila. You are done.

2 comments:

Puranjoy said...

Gah! The capitalization in "Windows" hooked me! Here I was planning on good old Apple bashing, and what an anti-climax. D'uh!

-micrulfa

kriti said...

@PJ: aah... Apple bashing... well all I usually see is Apple bashing Windows (this time capitalization was intentionally done).

haven't really seen much Apple bashing since I have been initiated into Macworld. If you would be so kind as to provide links of 'ye good ol' Apple bashing.